The forum on subclinical hypothyroidism held in Stresa, Italy, inaugurated the iBSA foundation’s commitment in endocrinology.
The two-day forum was attended by leading experts in endocrinology from all over the world. Discussions spanned a variety of topics with hypothyroidism and pregnancy being one of themes more broadly examined. Although often unrecognised, hypothyroidism can affect pregnancy in a number of ways including being a cause of infertility and increasing the risk of miscarriage. Before birth a baby is entirely dependent on the mother for thyroid hormone until the baby’s own thyroid gland can start to function. So the future mom’s thyroid gland needs to step up its activity and at times this brings about thyroid problems.
“GPs or OBs/GYNs do not often prescribe any blood tests to check the hormone levels of the patients who come to see them complaining about general malaise, fatigue, depression and difficulties in losing weight” – said Dr. Silvia Misiti, Director of the iBSA foundation. Hence the need to come together with the experts in the field in Stresa to discuss current issues and expand knowledge in this field.
- Carlo Alviggi, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Giuseppe Barbesino, Massachusetts General Hospital-Harvard Medical School, USA Boston (MA), USA
- Salvatore Benvenga, University of Messina, Policlinico G. Martino, Messina, Italy
- Bernadette Biondi, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Marco Cappa, Bambino Gesù Paediatric Hospital, IRCCS, Rome, Italy
- Alessandra Cassio, University of Bologna, Policlinico S. Orsola-Malpighi, Bologna, Italy
- Marco Centanni, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
- Anna Maria Colao, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Andrea Isidori, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
- Andrea Lenzi, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
- Enrico Papini, Ospedale Regina Apostolorum, Albano Laziale (Rome), Italy
- Alfredo Pontecorvi, Catholic University, Sacro Cuore, Rome, Italy
- Francesco Romanelli, Sapienza University of Rome, Italy
- Domenico Salvatore, University of Naples Federico II, Naples, Italy
- Massimo Tonacchera, University of Pisa, Italy
- Vincenzo Toscano, Sapienza University of Rome, Sant’Andrea Hospital, Rome, Italy
- Giovanna Weber, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy